Friday, February 09, 2007

Die You Zombie Bastards!


I watch a lot of zombie movies and campy sorts of movies in general. They're good fun and great to watch with a bunch of like-minded pals... especially when you've got the sort of pals that will cheer for the zombies rather than the unfortunate college kids deperately trying to survive by crawling into some dark room that only seems to have one way out. That's another thing I've noticed.... Non-Zombies in most zombie movies apparently have never seen any zombie movies, ever. They always spend the first 30 minutes of the movie dumbfounded as to what these "human-like creatures could possible be". Uh, they're zombies. George Romero? anyone.. anyone?

This is not the case with "Die You Zombie Bastards!", a great campy gush of a movie I recently saw. Not only are zombies pretty rampant (and all the other characters zombie-knowledgable), there are also ninjas, giant pissed-off insects, a canabalistic match made in heaven (or hell depending on your own proclivities), dudes with dog-faces, some sort of well-endowed aquatic creature who in my opinion is a great tribute to the "Creature from the Black Lagoon," some hot go-go dancer looking zombie slave triplets and what I found to be insanely hilarious... "Coconut Head Face Man."

The story is far-fetched and completely over the top, exactly like any good campy gore-fest should be. "Die You Zombie bastards!" is also sprinkled with homages to classic horror and sloshy, gooey gore. It's delightfully apparent that the people behind this movie really love the genre.

I really could go on and on about how much I enjoyed this movie, but really.. just see it.

Cats on the Eastern Seaboard can find the DVD at Newbury Comics. (I bought my copy here.)
Everyone else can get this zombie goodness from amazon.com

For all the internet geeks... join the "Die You Zombie Bastards!" myspace group...
http://groups.myspace.com/dieyouzombiebastards
and also... visit the universe at www.dieyouzombiebastards.com

I've debated whether or not to mention that one half of the team behind this flick happens to be a teacher that I had while I was in art school. I don't want this review to be tainted by thoughts of "oh, she knows the guy... that's why she's rambling on about this." I can assure you, If I didn't know anyone involved, my review would be exactly the same.

I'm a big supporter of anyone putting something creative out into the world on their own. Many people simply don't feel they have the means to make something happen, sooooo when someone DOES.. it's important to support it and help spread the word in anyway you can...

...Especially if it's as entertaining and oddly hilarious as "Die You Zombie Bastards!". Go buy a copy already!

No comments: