Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Rat-A-Tat-Tat...

On saturday, my friend Chet came down from New York to get a tattoo by my tattoo artist. I say "my" only because I've been getting work from him for 8 years and we've developed a nice friendship. I'm pretty much a walking portfolio of his work. If he ever retires, I'll lose my mind.

His shop is in Conneticut, and I'm in Boston-ish, so it's a nice drive to get there. I don't mind the drive at all. It sort of makes the experience special because I can't just go on a whim. The shop is far enough away that I need to plan a bit if I'm going to get a new tattoo. (Although on this trip, I'm not getting any new ink.. only Chet.)

At the shop, we set up a time-lapse camera and set it to take an image every ten seconds. This equals less frames per second than traditional animation, so the effect was pretty neat. The two hour tattoo became roughly a thirty second quirky little video, with the tattoo machine moving so fast that it looks as if Chet's arm is simply being sketched on with a marker.

If I can figure out how to add video to this blog, I'll post it here. I'm not that adept at coding or techie-type things, so don't hold your breath.

No comments: