Monday, November 26, 2007

The bastard in the basement.

I love owning my house but, there is one aspect of home-owning that I hate. I hate dealing with my heating system. I have a boiler in my basement that is at least 75 years old. It's the bane of my existence during cold weather.

I'm constantly running down to the basement to check on it, swearing under my breath as I approach the monster. I'm constantly touching radiators to make sure they are warm. I question the reading on my thermostat. The father in "The Christmas Story's" battle with his boiler is no longer funny to me. Now I relate and sympathize. AHHH!

Also, the bastard in my basement is covered in a thick layer of asbestos, so removing it in order to replace it will be an expensive hassle.

Luckily, my friend is dating a swell guy who deals with this crap for a living, so he fixes and tunes up everything for me for free. Otherwise, I'd already be out several hundred dollars this year. (Actually not free, I pay him in dinners.)

I'm going to switch to natural gas in the next few years, and I hope the damn boiler lasts until then.

Damn it.

No comments: