Monday, November 19, 2007

I can actually hear you now.

Went to a show this weekend, which is nothing of note because I go to a lot of shows. But this was different... I could hear the vocals! It was amazing!

Normally at shows, the drums get mic-ed and end up too high in the mix, thus drowning out everything else that's on stage. It's maddening.

Jim Heath wrote an article called "How Sound Men are Ruining Rock 'n Roll", about the drum problem at shows, it's quite good and explains the drum problem better than I can...
http://www.reverendhortonheat.com/rev_updates/07_01_19.php

The sound guys at Toad's Place this weekend did a really great job. It was one of the best shows I've ever been to, in terms of sound quality. I feel like I should send them a muffin basket or something... it was that impressive.

(Oddly, this show I went to this weekend with the fantastic sound quality, was Jim's band, The Reverend Horton Heat.)

No comments: