Thursday, May 24, 2007

Birdie, we hardly knew ye.

Disclaimer: The following story is gross. I would even go so far as to say that this is, to date, the grossest thing I've posted on this blog. Trust me when I say it's gross. I should know... I was there.

Yesterday when I got into my car to drive to work, I noticed a wet leaf on the windshield of my car. So naturally, I turned my car's wipers on for few seconds to fling the leaf off. I didn't work and instead the leaf got tangled in my windshield wipers. A wierd smear was forming on my windshield that marked the path that the leaf was taking as it whipped back and forth across my window. "Weird," I thought, as I turned the wipers off and took a more investigative look at the offending leaf.

Horror crept over me like an ocean wave as the leaf's true identity came into focus. It was not a leaf.

It was a dead baby bird. A DEAD BABY BIRD.

A dead, featherless, baby bird was mangled and stuck in my windshield wiper on the passenger side. That smear across my window was dead bird guts. Anyone who knows me knows I have a childlike, irrational fear of dead animals. There was no way I could get the bird out of its tanglement on my own without throwing up and possibly passing out. So I drove to work with the poor little guy still stuck in the wiper and a big smear of him across the window. I drove while sitting as far away from the passenger side as I could humanly manage, even though the thick glass of my windshield separated me from the corpse. Irrational, yes.

Luckily, a guy I work with isn't afraid of small dead things and pryed the little bugger out of there for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a whole family of birds nest in my stove-top vent a few years back. It was quite the rescue operation to get them out of there...we put the chicks in a cardboard box makeshift nest on the basketball hoop to let the parents know they were alive, then moved the box to a sheltered location and all survived.