Friday, April 20, 2007

Yardwork is for suckers, and for me.

The following is a list of the things I hope to get finished by the time spring rolls around. A lot of the things listed are yard-related. This year I would like to take more advantage of my yard. I moved into the house in August and didn't get to spend a lot of time out there before Autumn crept up, as I was busy doing a ton of "moving-in" type stuff.

1. Install an exterior door leading to the back yard.
Right now, the only access to my backyard involves going out the front door, and walking back down the entire length of my house. This is especially annoying when I'm grilling in the backyard and forget plates. It'll cause me to either decide that no one needs plates anyway, or beg someone to run up to the front of the house and through the front door, then run back. A door to the backyard will make me appear less lazy.

2. Build a deck.
I like to entertain, and having my lawn chairs sink into my weed-laden lawn kind of stinks.

3. Repaint my outdoor fridge.
I inherited a round top fridge from my grandparents, and am in the process of converting it into an outdoor cooler. I'm taking the engine out of it and de-electricing it, so it'll basically end up as a giant fridge shaped cooler that I'll fill with ice when I'm entertaining outside. The fridge is currently painted like a giant Shlitz can, and I'm going to re-do it to match my tiki bar that is almost finished. And yes, I'm aware of the danger of kids tresspassing into my yard and hiding in the fridge and suffocating themselves. I'll be drilling airholes in the back as per the law. (yeah yeah, I saw that episode of "Punky Brewster" too.)

4. Finish the outdoor Tiki Bar.
My father built it for me in the Fall, and I want it to have a shipwrecked feel, so I applied a few coats of stain and left it outside all winter uncovered so that the elements eat at it a bit. Once it gets warmer, I need to sand some rough spots and etch a pattern into the top surface. Then I'm going to wax it so that it feels like drift-wood.

No comments: